Stone Cottages in Camps Bay have come a long way since when they were originally established, and since taking custodianship of them, the team at Village n Life have done some incredible to turn them into the oasis they now present right in the heart of Camps Bay.
Interestingly, the cottages were built by the Mills Syndicate which is the company that ran the trams from the centre of Cape Town, over Kloof Nek, down Camps Bay Drive and back via Sea Point between 1900 and 1930.
The tram drivers lived in the cottages as well as what is now the very popular Theatre on the Bay. Built in 1903, they are a landmark of the Camps Bay area and consisted of seven cottages, with the original four being sandstone cottages and the other three being gable cottages.
We found an old photo of one of the trams in Camps Bay, and how things have changed since then.
The Mills Syndicate, property developers, realised that if accessibility into Camps Bay could be improved, it would become a very popular suburb. While what we see is a bustling area today, it was originally only designed as a seaside resort.
Village n Life became custodians of Stone Cottages in 2014 after they became available on auction and since then the transformation of the cottages has been unbelievable. They are protected under the Heritage Act of South Africa and embracing the importance of this, the team maintained most of the original cottages to preserve this bygone era. Here is a little look back on some of the areas of Stone Cottages, before and after Village n Life started work on them:
Visit StoneCottages.co.za for more information on them.